Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Response: True/False

On Friday, I attended my first ever True/False film. It's crazy to think that I have lived in Columbia for four years now and never been (I guess in my defense I was out of the country last year at this time). The film itself was really cool, but the event, well let's just say there are some things I would do differently.

One of my major disappointments was the difficulty of getting tickets. I know a lot of us had no idea how to get tickets in the first place, which for me was a simply a lack of investigation, but I felt as though it was pretty complicated. I couldn't go stand at the Artisan in the middle of a Thursday, and I bet other people with full time jobs would have the same complaint. It seemed to me that you really had to be in the know, or know someone who is (which is how I ended up getting my ticket- thank you Sarah).

We ended up waiting in a line, to then wait in line for tickets, which seemed a little redundant to me. Oh well, I got one, so I probably shouldn't be complaining, but I couldn't help but think if it were a little easier, more people would come out and see the films. The point of the festival is for people in Columbia to have their eyes widened by these amazing documentaries, and I can't help but think that the people who can't get tickets, or don't know how are the ones that really NEED to see them and be exposed to something outside of the bubble of Columbia.

I know that I would have loved to have seen more films over the course of the weekend, but all the waiting and lining up really deterred me from checking out more. Well, that and the price, but that's a whole other post...

No comments:

Post a Comment