Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Response: 20/10 Assignment

I found today's discussion of our different processes for designing to be really interesting. I think it really helped me to talk about some of the things I do when designing to go forward in the most beneficial way, and at this point in the semester, we do have a way of doing things and some rituals that will get us into trouble if we don't take note of them.

I know that I over analyze my designs (like I said, I over analyze everything thanks to my father), and I don't know that I will ever stop. However, I think this assignment was a really good one for me because it allowed me to systematically go through my ups and downs when designing. It also showed me that behind one bad idea is a potentially really good one- that is, if I don't get stuck on the bad one.

After our discussion, I came home to read my email and found an ironically appropriate article in my daily email from The Cut. They featured an interview with fashion designer Alber Elbaz, who designs for Lanvin. He talks about personal struggles with his weight, but also his low self confidence, which causes him to think that everything he designs is bad. They wrote: "Despite the continuous outpouring of praise, he is a perfectionist who always thinks his work sucks, which it never does."



Lately, I have been thinking that everything that I design sucks too! But its comforting to know that even the most successful people have doubts about projects that are so close to their hearts. If nothing else, I will just have to design more because inevitably I will like something... right?

No comments:

Post a Comment